Horse Sports stock a comprehensive range of horse blankets, canvas covers and show rugs.
Our winter horse covers include Weatherbeeta rugs, Zilco covers and Saxon horse blankets, fleece rugs, wool under-blankets and neck covers.
Horse Sports stock a range of New Zealand made canvas horse covers in both summer and winter weights. The canvas used for these canvas horse rugs is high quality, and produced in Australia.
HorseSports also stocks various horse accessories including shoulder guards, hoods, waterproofer and tail bags.
Horse cover sizing
Horse cover sizes are measured in feet, except for European made covers which will be marked in centimetres.
It is worth measuring your horse before buying a cover if you aren’t completely sure what size cover they need.
- For horse covers made in NZ and Europe, measurement from the wither to the top of the tail
- In the UK and US covers, measure from the centre of the horse’s chest to the furthest point of the rump.
Horse blanket weights
Horse covers come in a range of weights. To check if your horse’s cover is cosy enough, slide your hand under the cover; their skin should be warm.
- Many horses will only require a lightweight horse cover in summer, such as fly sheets, cotton horse rugs or light canvas summer turn out rugs
- Summer sheets and turnout rugs can help keep dark horses cool, and reduce the amount of bother by flies and ticks
- In the North Island, winter horse covers are generally 220-240gsm
- South Island horses may require horse rug weights up to 300gsm
- If your horse stays warm easily, a 100gsm lightweight cover may be fine in winter
- If your horse is clipped in winter, they may enjoy a 300gsm winter cover, and will need a neck cover
- The most common medium weight horse covers in NZ are 200-240gsm
We’re always happy to help find just the right horse blanket for each horse. We look forward to talking!